1. Rest your bird on your side at room temperature whilst you make your spice mix.
2. Preheat your oven to 180C.
3. Begin by making your spice mix. Blitz all of the ingredients together in a food processor until it is a fine powder. Pour your mix through a sieve to catch any large bits - remove as necessary.
4. Now it's time to tackle your bird. Grab a sharp knife and prick the fatty lump beneath both wings to allow the fat to run out when cooking. Rub your goose all over with your olive oil and follow by rubbing 2 heaped tablespoons of your spice mix all over its skin. Keep the rest back in case it needs topping up half way through roasting, or, save it and use it another day, it works really well with all poultry.
5. Halve you onion and orange, and place in the cavity of your bird followed by your bunch of rosemary.
6. Roast in a large tray (large enough to cook your potatoes in later). Roast for 2 hours for a 4kg bird, and an extra 30 minutes per kg for birds larger than that.
7. Rest under two layers of foil for at least 20 minutes before carving.