4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch of fresh thyme
1 bunch of fresh sage leaves
2 handfuls of fresh breadcrumbs
ground black pepper
You don’t often see a whole chicken stuffed like this, although often a chicken breasts is, so its a real shame as it adds such a beautiful flavour and the natural juices from the chicken also add a gorgeous moisture to the stuffing.
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C.
2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan. Whilst it warms, blitz together your sage, onion, and garlic. Spoon in your mixture and lightly fry to release the most amazing aroma. Once softened, remove from the heat and leave in a bowl to cool.
3. Once cool, grate in the zest of your lemon and add your egg, breadcrumbs and sausagemeat.
4. Carefully push your fingers between the meat and skin of your chicken and gently fill with your stuffing. If you have too much, don’t worry, simply ball it up and cook to the side of your bird mid way through roasting, or save for another day.
5. Cut your lemon in half and place in the cavity of your chicken along with your fresh thyme.
6. Lightly rub a little more of your olive oil over the skin of your bird followed by a generous amount of seasoning.
7. Roast for 1 hour. Check it is cooked by carefully turning the drumstick, if it easily comes away it is cooked. Rest, well covered, for 20 minutes before carving.